General Tech What did you work on Today?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
You just have Sh!t luck..........a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting a lemon KTM 300 and you got it. More than anything I just like bringing your PTPSDD to the surface:bryson::bryson::handlebars::handlebars:
Truth is, I've had 3 or 4 Really bad luck experiences... and probably hundreds of good luck purchases.

I just don't get online and whine about all the vehicles/bikes/properties I have bought that have made me tons of money. :rofl:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I’ve got a vacant unit that I am signing contract on tomorrow. It needs a smoke alarm and a shower head. Figured I’d just knock that out tonight. 10-15 minutes tops. Give it a quick over to make sure it looks presentable.

5 hours and $350 later, 10 minute project done.

By a rental property. They are awesome.

I had my share of dealing with rental properties years ago, as well as people who rent them, and quickly learned that I didn't understand what the draw was. People think it's quick and easy money, at least until they have to deal with the BS that goes along with it. I'll stick to spinning wrenches to make my fortune thank you. :D

Mike

Pike2350

I’ve got a vacant unit that I am signing contract on tomorrow. It needs a smoke alarm and a shower head. Figured I’d just knock that out tonight. 10-15 minutes tops. Give it a quick over to make sure it looks presentable.

Hit the Home Depot, grab parts, head to the condo.

Back to Home Depot. Grab parts and head back to the condo.

head BACK to Home Depot again.

Realize I bought the WRONG wax ring.

5 hours and $350 later, 10 minute project done.

By a rental property. They are awesome.
this is pretty much any home project.

It is nice to hear it isn't just me that runs into these problems. I consider 1 trip to HD to finish a project a HUGE win, rarely is that the case.

I am slowly realizing I enjoy the remodel and refurbishing work WAY more then the landlording. I have been very lucky with my tenants so far.....but these projects just plain suck when shit goes wrong all the time.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I guess I forgot to post the final pictures of the turbo rebuild.

Here I'm testing the intercooler piping and system to ensure there are no leaks before buttoning up the engine bay.
lbz01.jpg

Cleaning up the airbox before installation.
lbz02.jpg

Cleaning the duct work.
lbz03.jpg

Cooling system filled, ductwork and airbox installed as well as new Deka/East Penn batteries as well as A/C compressor back in place, radiator shroud and serpentine belt all installed.
lbz06.jpg

lbz001.jpg

After initial fire and run-in the resonator was reinstalled.
lbz004.jpg

Inner fender reinstalled, tires rotated and torqued to spec and idling while I put tools away.
lbz005.jpg

After everything double checked the hood was put back into the normal position and ready for a road test.
lbz006.jpg

Back from road test and everything triple checked. No leaks and everything appears to be in order.
lbz007.jpg

All in all not too awfully bad of a job, just nuts and bolts. I had a few interruptions but it still took a bit longer than expected.

Thanks for looking.

Mike.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
One of the interruptions was the loss of my shop air. It seldom happens but when it does it sucks.

I have had my Quincy 60-gallon 2-stage air compressor since new in the early 90's when I built my last shop. It has been an excellent piece of equipment and in all those years only left me without air 3 times including this one. Two of those times it was the same component failure, which was the check valve. Now these are a common failure point on any compressor so when the last one failed I bought two, so I could have one as a spare or backup. When the compressor was leaking the other night after shutdown and tripping the unloade, I knew immediately it was the valve not sealing. No worries, I have one in the drawer. I went to grab it and then some tools to remove the old one and replace then the plan was to clean the one I just pulled out and put it aside as the next backup/spare.

Tools and new check valve at the ready. This is usually only about a 10+ minute job.
shop1.jpg

I removed the main rigid line and then as I was removing the street elbow for the unloaded tube it broke. I did NOT have a spare 90-degree fitting. 🤬 Seeing as how this was quite late at night, this caused a night delay as I had to grab one on the way home the next day.
shop2.jpg

The check valve that I removed disassembled and ready to clean. You can see the crack/split in the elbow also.
shop3.jpg

Next afternoon it was back up and running.
shop4.jpg

Purrs like a kitten again. Opted to clean the air filter while I was at it but it was actually in good shape as there is little to no dust in the RV/storage bay where the compressor resides.shop5.jpg

On a positive note, while I was working on the compressor my new Prevost air couplers arrived. I switched a few of my more air demanding tools over to hi-flow Milton V series plugs and couplers about 10 years ago and then when I moved and built the new shop with many more air drops I switched the vast majority of my tools and hoses over to the Milton V-series hi-flow fittings and couplers. However, over the past 5+ years of having them throughout the shop I have become less and less impressed with the Milton couplers. They are hard to connect requiring two hands and when disconnecting they require two hands as I have found I have to push inward slightly to get them to release. I had people tell me they need to be oiled but even doing that over the years they have not been as "user friendly" as I once thought. What's worse is a couple of weeks ago when I went to disconnect a secondary air hose it popped quite violently and I didn't grab it in time and it damn near hit the Camaro. My heart sunk as I watched the hose hurl towards the car and I couldn't grab it back. That was the last straw.

When I built my new shop a guy on another forum told me about the Prevost hi-flow couplers and how nice they were and what fantastic quality they were. I looked at them at the time but the price scared me somewhat. I should have listened and just bought them back when I built the shop rather than waste more money on inferior couplers. First impression after opening the package was that these just felt like a quality coupler. I has also ordered a couple of their swivels as I like those on small tools like die grinders and my smaller air ratchets as they allow better maneuverability in tight places. I have used the Dynabrade swivel fittings for years and needed a couple more and noticed that Prevost also offered them and they were about the same price so I opted to give them a try. Not that I have been unhappy with the Dynabrade as they have worked perfectly, I just wanted to give the Prevost a try seeing as how I was already placing an order.
shop6.jpg

I took some time and switched several of my coiled hoses over to the new couplers which all took 1/4" FNPT couplers and then my two hose reels that require 3/8" FNPT couplers. The first couple of times I used them I was impressed. Not only do they pop free easily with the push of a recessed button but they quickly bleed the air off so the tool doesn't get ejected. It's a nice one handed operation and what is even an added bonus is that they connect much easier with less effort required when connecting.
shop7.jpg

shop8.jpg

Finally after cleaning up I was able to wipe the benches down in preparation for the next project coming in.
shop9.jpg

shop10.jpg

After a couple nights of using the new Prevost couplers now I am still very pleased with them and pissed at myself for not listening to others and purchasing them when I built the shop. The only downside is that the Milton's would accept either the hi-flow male plugs OR the standard male plugs in the same hi-flow coupler. The Prevost couplers will not. Meaning I had to order more of the hi-flow plugs and make the complete conversion.

It's a racket I tells ya....:rofl:

So if anyone is looking to convert their air couplers to hi-flow if I can give one bit of advice that is to skip right to the Prevost couplers from the get-go and not waste time or money with the Milton's.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Pile of parts

So if anyone is looking to convert their air couplers to hi-flow if I can give one bit of advice that is to skip right to the Prevost couplers from the get-go and not waste time or money with the Milton's.
I wish I would have had your testimonial when I used to sell Prevost. Nice couplers! I don't have any myself...🙁 I didn't have a compressor or air tools at the time.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Now you tell me! I’ve been running Milton V couplers on all my tools for a few years. They don’t bother me much, but your right they are two handed to connect/disconnect.

I wish I would have had your testimonial when I used to sell Prevost. Nice couplers! I don't have any myself...🙁 I didn't have a compressor or air tools at the time.

Yeah, I wish I would have listened 5+ years ago when I was told not to bother with anything else. I didn't listen and ended up paying twice so if this helps anyone to avoid the same pitfall I landed in then it was worth it. Sorry to those who already bought them.

On a side note, if anyone is interested in some Milton V style couplers get with me as I have a few new ones and quite a few slightly used ones I'll let go, cheap.... ;)

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Had a quick "hey man" job come through the shop door last night. I had some time so I thought I'd knock it out real quick.

A past client who is local contacted me to see if I could remove a few broken fasteners from a couple of heads and timing cover from his newly acquired Jeep Wrangler with the 3.8 liter engine. He purchased it with a horrible rod knock and is rebuilding the engine when a few fasteners didn't want to cooperate upon removal.
jk1.jpg

The lower bolt on the oil pump cover in the front cover was stripped and after a little drilling the screw extractor did it's job.
jk2.jpg

jk3.jpg

Front cover completed and cleaned.
jk4.jpg

Moving on to the heads. Each head had two fasteners broken off. With just the use of my small MAPP gas torch, two came out with relative ease, one was less cooperative and one I fought and even had to break out the full-size oxy/acetylene torch for. But they all succumbed to my efforts. :rofl:
jk5.jpg

jk6.jpg

I like these little "hey man" projects, especially when they are off the vehicle. 👍

Thanks for looking.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Curious, did you opt to use left-hand twist drill bits or regular?

On the oil pump fastener I tried a left handed first but it wouldn't grab so I switched over to a standard drill bit followed by the extractor. To be honest, I haven't had the greatest luck with left hand drill bits over the years unless the bolt is actually loose in the threads and just the head damaged. Seeing as how that is how the oil pump fastener appeared, I gave a LH drill bit a try but it was obviously still too tight in the threads.

For the exhaust manifold bolts, I didn't drill any of them as I was able to grab them externally after a little heating to get them to come out.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I’ve been looking at their system for running air through the new garage.

I didn't realize Prevost offered a complete shop air system? I used three Aircom 25mm (1") kits when I built my shop and have been very impressed with it. It is very similar to the FastPipe rigid system but I was able to find it a bit cheaper on eBay than locally. On Garage Journal the RapidAir system is very popular as it comes in coils and cut as needed. However, I couldn't get past the coiled line and didn't think that would work well with my OCD unless it was perfectly straight. When I was putting the finishing touches on my shop and installing the Aircom system is when one forum member suggested I purchase the Prevost couplers. Then multiple others jumped in to second the thought. Of course, I didn't listen and now I paid the price, twice. 🤬