General Tech What did you work on Today?

STAG

On my grind
Great idea! I’ll have to try that method.

I bought a Rivnut tool that kinda looks like a rivet gun. It sucks! My Rachio of ruined to successful rivnuts is about 50/50.
I’ve seen those, but have never used one. I’ve always used this method for even the smaller diameter rivnuts. I was just expecting this one to suck because of the shear size of the 1/2” units. But I think the thrust bearing was really the game changer here for me. Made it to where there was no twisting force trying to rotate the nut that holds the rivnut flange.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I thought my kids 50 was super loud last race so I proceeded to repack the silencer.
20231013_105851.jpg

And then I noticed this...
Freaking '50s... I'm sure this has nothing to do with the last 3 dad's who owned this thing overzealously kicking the stupid bike 300 times on the stand.
20231013_110239.jpg

I'm sure this weld job will hold right up until the moment it doesn't. 🫶😂
20231013_112727.jpg

Last edited:

NYCEGUY01

Needed firmer shifts in the Blazer so although it took way longer than I had hoped for. The shift kit is now in and functioning. Much better than the stock th400 setup.

Tomorrow I just need to get the valves adjusted and see why it has a misfire now ( hopefully the valve adjustment) and then I can call it done enough to get back working on the rambler again

20231013_114628.jpg

Tonkaman

I thought my kids 50 was super loud last race so I proceeded to repack the silencer.
View attachment 165080

And then I noticed this...
Freaking '50s... I'm sure this has nothing to do with the last 3 dad's who owned this thing overzealously kicking the stupid bike 300 times on the stand.
View attachment 165081

I'm sure this weld job will hold right up until the moment it doesn't. 🫶😂
View attachment 165082
I’m totally impressed you were able to weld that pipe! All the carbon, oil, and chrome plating makes welding sheet metal pretty darn tough!

NYCEGUY01

Needed firmer shifts in the Blazer so although it took way longer than I had hoped for. The shift kit is now in and functioning. Much better than the stock th400 setup.

Tomorrow I just need to get the valves adjusted and see why it has a misfire now ( hopefully the valve adjustment) and then I can call it done enough to get back working on the rambler again

View attachment 165086
Well shit...lol

Figured I had time earlier this afternoon so why not just knock out the valve adjustment. Its been pretty noisy and the motor is basically new so I assumed it just needed it done.
Adjusted everything up as usual, and its much louder..lol.
Pulled the valve covers back off again, pulled the plugs again and started turning the motor over by hand again and actually looking close this time... It appears either I have some waisted lifters or a cam issue. Probably both.

I had planned on a better motor at some point, just not now right before winter... hmmmm.

JeeperG

Albert has been tackling the bedside wood still, redid the passenger side cause of some bowed wood. Then he went and took a router to the edges and cleaned it up.
PXL_20231013_201042739.jpg

PXL_20231013_233304465.jpgTook it over to the truck to mock it up once more and mark the holes for holding it in the stake pockets. I like it, now we'll take it apart and stain it same as the bed wood.
PXL_20231013_233845839.jpgI was tackling my original window regulators in the parts washer.
PXL_20231013_210528795.jpg
Noticed they come out of Detroit
PXL_20231013_231241024.jpgMy brother was working on more polishing, under side of hood.
PXL_20231013_232059309.jpg
Start tackling the topside tomorrow
PXL_20231014_004712840.jpg

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
Got bored today and decided to check out what’s been rattling on my duramax. It’s an inconsistent rattle, does it idling, running down the road, hit a hole and it does it etc. it’s not rhythmic or mechanical sounding just a random pinging noise. Ended up finding it, was a tranny line hitting the frame and then a ac line bouncing of it . But before that I found that the passenger side sway bar link had disappeared yet again so I built some to get away from the long bolt style. Then I painted my frame and fender wells and rotated my tires. Then lastly I found a slight rattle in the front skid so I decided to build one.

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0755.jpeg

IMG_0756.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0761.jpeg

JeeperG

@JeeperG beautiful workmanship. That is turning out killer.
Thank you, it's certainly not without flaws, that's also came with lessons, we are not a shop, just a family with a hobby? My brother gets credit for the bulk of this, I imagine most people will only see the truck as a whole and not see the flaws? Guess we'll see how my vision of how I wanted it turns out. There's still one more session of buffing and a wax after it has been assembled.

1000004206.jpg

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Thank you, it's certainly not without flaws, that's also came with lessons, we are not a shop, just a family with a hobby? My brother gets credit for the bulk of this, I imagine most people will only see the truck as a whole and not see the flaws? Guess we'll see how my vision of how I wanted it turns out. There's still one more session of buffing and a wax after it has been assembled.

You don't need to apologize for not being a "shop". Some of the best paint jobs and work in general that I have seen has come out of home shops/garages and weren't "professionally built".

Also, keep in mind that there is no such thing as a perfect paint job. ALL of them have flaws to some degree and the painter always knows where they're at, even if others don't see them.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Spoken like someone that has spent some time behind a spray gun

Yeah, once or twice. :rofl:

Here is my 1940 Chev coupe that I built back mid-90's. Was featured in Street Rodder Magazine in 1997. Won 1st place in class in Boise Roadster Show same year and was one of five cars in the running for Utah's Finest a year later. StreetRod9.jpg

StreetRod1.jpg

Here is another street rod that I took on for a client back in late 1997 and finished it in 2000. This car was featured in 2001 Hot Rodder Magazine after the owner showed it for a season or two.
rod2.jpg

rod1.jpg

This picture was taken early 2000's before a local rod run.
1940_2.jpg

I've been very blessed to have had the opportunity to build some nice cars over the years and learned a thing or two along the way.

No matter what people tell you, there's no such thing as a perfect paint job.