General Tech What did you work on Today?

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
So I went and looked at this tractor tonight. It’s a hydrostatic transmission. The guy was driving it, and it just quit moving. While I was there it started making a grinding noise, sounded to me similar to a chain running across a toothless sprocket. The guy had never heard that noise before. After a second, the noise stopped, and then I pressed the pedal and tractor moved forward. After about one turn of the wheels it quit moving and made the noise again. couldn’t get it to move again after that. Do any of you tractor folks know how a hydrostatic tractor gets it hydro pressure for movement? The bucket still functions like it should.
@Gravy @Hickey

Bolens H1704 Tractor
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/73798439

1969honda

Supporting Member
So I went and looked at this tractor tonight. It’s a hydrostatic transmission. The guy was driving it, and it just quit moving. While I was there it started making a grinding noise, sounded to me similar to a chain running across a toothless sprocket. The guy had never heard that noise before. After a second, the noise stopped, and then I pressed the pedal and tractor moved forward. After about one turn of the wheels it quit moving and made the noise again. couldn’t get it to move again after that. Do any of you tractor folks know how a hydrostatic tractor gets it hydro pressure for movement? The bucket still functions like it should.
@Gravy @Hickey

Bolens H1704 Tractor
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/73798439
Typically there is a smaller fixed displacement pump for the implements ~35gpm. Then a larger variable displacement pump setup for movement. Downside is they share oil and if one takes a crap it can/will wipe out the other in time if not addressed. It's been a hot minute since I have worked on tractors, but my gut says it will be more than $1500 in parts to fix.

On the upside if you do get it and decide a dealer/3rd party shop is to expensive you may try USU or Weber State? The USU Ag department used to run an Ag Tech club that would take on work on week nights to raise money for field trips back east. It was part of the Agricultural Science, Technology, and Education program by the green houses on the north side of 1400 N.

JeeperG

Been too focused on truck project lately, haven't touched the Jeep for a minute, finished mocking up rocker guards, still need to get a different overflow bottle, get a new tailgate then maybe I can take all this stuff off and paint it. Also need to change out the 02 sensor, fuel pump and check the injectors and I'm sure some other random stuff.

1000004342.jpg

1000004340.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It was the same story on the wagon. This time it's all on us. Still much to do while working day jobs and living life outside the shops.
I applaud all that you have been able to do in house. Wish I could do worthwhile bodywork and upholstery. That’s awesome.

JeeperG

I applaud all that you have been able to do in house. Wish I could do worthwhile bodywork and upholstery. That’s awesome.
Thanks, it certainly takes patience, time, money still but hopefully all worth it in the end. I hate bodywork I decided, so tedious.

Also while I'm thinking about it and these trucks being designed off the 39 coupes.
This is a good book for some knowledge about these trucks.
1000004378.jpg
Some folks mistakenly call these an F-100, they are not. Ford didn't coin the term F series trucks until 1948. Post war.

Also I don't know if anyone else caught what won World's most beautiful truck at the first "Grand national truck show in October.