General Tech What did you work on Today?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Been a few days of camper trailer repairs. This is the thing I’m most excited about:
The kitchen table is your typical two post deal. Very wobbly. Turns out one of the 4 bases was plastic and is broken. The other 3 are aluminum.

IMG_5478.jpeg

Obviously replacing the cup mount would help.. but I knew full well that it would not actually make it even semi-stable.

I searched the WWW for solutions. People had all kinds of ideas. Everything from closet rod supports to adding a third post to shelf brackets and even cables to hold it down.
I decided to go for screws through the mounts into the posts.
I drilled holes at 90 degrees in each of the 4 bases. Which allowed me to get a screw to sit flush on the inner cup portion.

IMG_5488.jpeg

I secured all the bases to the table and floor. I leveled the table slightly using shims on the floor.
One of the reasons I think this table was particularly bad is because when the slide is in, it’s a tight fit to get past the table into the trailer. Anyone my size or bigger could easily put a lot of stress on the table pushing through. I assume the PO was not conscious of this.
I moved the table about 2” farther from the back seats, making the seating a little more dad-bod friendly, but this will also exaggerate the previous issue when the slide is in. It may not be possible for me to skirt by.. but I have kids that can 😉, or I can simple move the slide out a little.

IMG_5489.jpeg

You can slightly see the new vs old position by the cleaner carpet being exposed.

The table is now as sturdy as I would think possible from a 2 post setup. I am very happy with the outcome.

JeeperG

Was up wrestling the front end around, installing welting, going to have to mess with the front fenders and hood a bit more to get all the gaps right.

Here you can see some of the flaws in the clear coat, seemed to do this everywhere the clear got runs, solvent popping not clearing out bubbles? don't mind the dust this thing is a dust magnet but the problem almost does look like dust.
PXL_20231122_205018905.jpg
Step back and look from a distant
PXL_20231122_212552074.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Moved a few new vehicles into the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum yesterday. Unfortunately that required moving four vehicles out to allow ingress.

This twin turbo URJ200 owns the land speed record for SUV class, 230.2mph. I couldn't find anywhere in SLC to get it going over 150mph :D

20231122_164302.jpg

The FJ62 is from Jack Carr's Terminal List series 😎

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Moved a few new vehicles into the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum yesterday. Unfortunately that required moving four vehicles out to allow ingress.

This twin turbo URJ200 owns the land speed record for SUV class, 230.2mph. I couldn't find anywhere in SLC to get it going over 150mph :D

View attachment 166818

The FJ62 is from Jack Carr's Terminal List series 😎
Ok, both are double rad.

XJEEPER

IMG_0083.jpeg

I had the occasion to troubleshoot my brothers overheating ‘18 JKRU last Saturday as we were exiting the Dome Plateau trail.

I recalled that the Tstat is integrated into the housing, which seals to the block with an O-ring.
Being 30-ish miles from Moab and replacement parts, my Macgyver solution was to disconnect the housing, twist the Tsat spring retention clip (see arrow) with pliers to release the spring and Tstat, then reinstall the empty housing, top off coolant (bottled water) and run it.

The overheat condition immediately went away and the whole process took less that 20min. Four 10mm bolts, 2 worm clamps.

We drove into town with no issues and installed a new Tstat unit the next morning before our drive back to the Wasatch Front.

FYI on an hack for a JK failing Tstat👍🏼

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The 3.6 thermostats are garbage. I have had 3 of them stick open. During the summer I get a CEL for not reach temp quick enough and in the winter it would barely warm up.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Freaking @Hickey sold me a snow blower like 4-5 years ago. I haven’t maintained or cleaned it one time. And now it won’t start! He’s such a scammer!

IMG_5546.jpeg

Once I got it running, it blew a few puffs of white smoke at start up. I figured I better check the oil to make sure it hadn’t burned too much out over the years.
I am 100% confident that neither he or I have ever changed the oil! 😬🤣

IMG_5547.jpeg

So I took care of that as well. It took like 3 minutes, so I can understand why it hasn’t been done yet. That’s a lot of commitment.

But now she’s up and running great.
Got the plow on the sxs as well.

IMG_5548.jpeg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Freaking @Hickey sold me a snow blower like 4-5 years ago. I haven’t maintained or cleaned it one time. And now it won’t start! He’s such a scammer!

View attachment 167085

Once I got it running, it blew a few puffs of white smoke at start up. I figured I better check the oil to make sure it hadn’t burned too much out over the years.

View attachment 167086

So I took care of that as well. It took like 3 minutes, so I can understand why it hasn’t been done yet. That’s a lot of commitment.

View attachment 167087
So is the Brian rule a thing yet? You know, miles times years you've owned it equals actually miles?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Cut down a semi truck load separator and mounted some more e-track so I could hold crap against the front of my trailer without jamming a 2x4 in there.
20231129_143426.jpg
20231129_155858.jpg

Then I made this redneck solution to hold my folding table from bouncing around.
(I've broken two hooks when I've hung it previously).
20231129_155910.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
So is the Brian rule a thing yet? You know, miles times years you've owned it equals actually miles?
Brian's "annual oil change on one piece of equipment."

I'm surprised the comment wasn't:
"If it was a Yamaha it wouldn't need an oil change."

I let the machines tell me when they want oil changes. It's a new mechanic technic. I'm teaching the machines to be a little more self sufficient. I'll report back when they grow up if it was effective or not.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

View attachment 167085

View attachment 167086

View attachment 167087
I sure hope you didn’t put good oil back in that thing, I don’t feel like it’s earned that level of care.

If I was to do another plow on a SXS, it would be more like your peasant RZR or a Ranger. The go-fast SXS’s suck at going slow.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Cut down a semi truck load separator and mounted some more e-track so I could hold crap against the front of my trailer without jamming a 2x4 in there.
View attachment 167096
View attachment 167097

Then I made this redneck solution to hold my folding table from bouncing around.
(I've broken two hooks when I've hung it previously).
View attachment 167098
It took me a while to understand what you meant by “semi truck load separator”, but I’m new to this stuff.

We always just called those a thinger.