Engine- VQ40 DOHC ~ 4.0-liter DOHC V6, 265hp and 284 lb-ft torque

Transmission- 5-speed A/T

T-Case- 4wd Stock

Axles- Stock

Suspension- Top Gun Customs spacers, and AC shackles

Wheels and Tires- 235/8516 10 Ply M/T's on Toyota Tacoma OE steel spare wheels

Winch- Not yet

Lighting- 100w IPF lights up front, w/ clear covers

Favorite Trails- Anywhere in the San Rafael Swell, or central/southern Utah is where I explore.

It got the name 'Stalker' while sitting at the dealership, before we even bought it. My wife told me the color was 'Night Armor', and later on I was trying to recall the name of the color, but instead of 'Night Armor', I called it 'Night Stalker'... So 'Stalker' just stuck.

Day after we picked it up from the dealer
100_3126.jpg

As of 11-18-09
DSC_1536.jpg

2009 Mods:
Top Gun Customs spacers
AC shackles.
235/85/16 10 ply M/T's
SpiderTrax aluminum wheel adapters (6x4.5 - 6x5.5)
Trailgear sliders - customised
Cobra DX III CB radio
Yaesu 2800M FM radio
MaxiTrip - Scan tool
Raingler half barrier
IPF driving lights with poly clear shields
Mountaineering Rack - Custom built
Quickfists - Maglight/Fire extinguisher
TruckBedez air mattress

Long term mods:
Skid plates
Front Bumper w/ winch
Rear full bumper
Roof rack - custom built
Xoskel Lo Pro

Last edited:

ricsrx

and you have that sweet net in back to keep you in your place in case things get out of control......

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I just picked up a MaxiTrip™ TP100 Scan Tool.. Slightly less expensive alternative to a ScanGauge. I got it on Amazon.com for $80 shipped.

● Works with all 1996 and later OBDII compliant vehicles
     ● Reads & clears trouble codes
     ● Easily determines the cause of the “Check Engine Light ( MIL)”
     ● Turns off Check Engine Light (MIL), and resets monitors
     ● Views freeze frame data
     ● Displays monitor and I/M readiness status(emissions)
     ● Retrieves vehicle information (VIN, CIN and CVN)

maxitrip.jpg

maxitrip1.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Remind me to take a peak at your Maxitrip tomorrow. I've been meaning to pick up the SGII but if that is a decent alternative I like the interface of that one better.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Sliders are done.. They've been a long time coming.. Glad to have the added protection. Erik @ D-Lux Fab, and Utah Powder Coatings did a great job.

To retain ease of re-powder coating if needed, we opted to weld legs with flanges to the frame; then added flanges to the legs on the sliders, thus making them removable via 12 3/8"s bolts per side.

Beginning ~ 4runner Trailgear Sliders (removed from my '99 4runner)
rocksliders-600.gif

Deciding on a design:
DSC02013.jpg

Welded up:
photo2-2.jpg

Finished product:
DSC_1143.jpg

DSC_1149.jpg

DSC_1142.jpg

DSC_1152.jpg

DSC_1153.jpg

DSC_1147.jpg

DSC_1151.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Sliders are done.. They've been a long time coming.. Glad to have the added protection. Erik @ D-Lux Fab, and Utah Powder Coatings did a great job.

To retain ease of re-powder coating if needed, we opted to weld legs with flanges to the frame; then added flanges to the legs on the sliders, thus making them removable via 12 3/8"s bolts per side...

You really should have plated the frame before welding your sliders on, thought you knew better Jason. -_- I made the same mistake on my old red '85 Toyota and took a hard hit on the sliders, ended up putting quite a dent in my frame where the slider was welded on. Been plating my frames ever since.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
You really should have plated the frame before welding your sliders on, thought you knew better Jason. -_- I made the same mistake on my old red '85 Toyota and took a hard hit on the sliders, ended up putting quite a dent in my frame where the slider was welded on. Been plating my frames ever since.

I'm sure they will more then able to handle the abuse the x will see;). Looks good Jason

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
You really should have plated the frame before welding your sliders on, thought you knew better Jason. I made the same mistake on my old red '85 Toyota and took a hard hit on the sliders, ended up putting quite a dent in my frame where the slider was welded on. Been plating my frames ever since.

I would've, buuuut, we didn't work that into the final decisions.. I never had an issue on my '99 4runner (see no frame plating), and I really don't forsee major hits with the Xterra.. The most the sliders got used on the '99 was using them to pivot the truck against/off rocks at very slow crawling speeds. Though it could easily be justified to beef them up even with the easy going type of travel the Xterra will see. I don't think i'll have an issue... Hopefully :)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I had the chance to test out all of my gear and setup this last weekend down in the San Raffael Swell. I love the interior rack, an absolute space saver! The air mattress is awesome. I was even able to use the air mattress without having to take the rack out. I had plenty of room to sleep comfortably. My #1 best addition so far are the tires. I could ease up snow covered hill climbs with rock ledges, motoring up with littl eto no wheelspin. I utilized the sliders a few times, very glad that I got those done in time for this trip.

The Xterra exceeded my expectations. Only thing that I would change at this point is a taller coil/shock up front instead of the 2" spacer.

DSC_1356.jpg

DSC_1316.jpg

DSC_1511.jpg

DSC_1442.jpg

DSC_1524.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Communications Center:

*Yaesu FT-2800M FM Mobile transeiver 65/25/10/5W. Maxrad 2 Meter steel whip aerial on adjustable trunk lid NMO mount
DSC_1552.jpg

DSC_1542.jpg

*Cobra CB 19 DX III w/ Maxrad CB steel whip aerial on trunk lid NMO mount
DSC_1553.jpg

DSC_1543.jpg

Semi-custom center console houses communications, hot power w/ fuse block, keyed power, 3ea 12v outlets, 3 switches, 2ea 100w Motorola external speakers.
photo1-7.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Possible paint scheme? ;) I could never bring myself to do that, but thought it'd be worth looking at in PS.

FJXsami.jpg

Inspiration:

DSC_3653.jpg